For some Harry Potter fans, a lightning bolt-shaped void appeared in their lives almost four years ago when they closed the back cover on Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows. Other fans are only starting to feel the pain as the eighth and final film in the series grows ever nearer to its release date. But just when we thought the wizarding world was well and truly coming to an end, J.K. Rowling, the woman responsible for bringing Harry and friends to life, has given us hope that the phoenix might rise yet again.
Recently, Rowling launched a website under the suggestive yet confounding URL pottermore.com. Accompanying the site is a YouTube tease depicting a number of fidgety owls and a clock that counts down the days, hours and minutes until “J.K. Rowling’s announcement.” As of 6 a.m. Wednesday (Central Standard Time), 24 hours remain on the clock.
Speculation abounds as to what the announcement could be. Popular theories include a wizarding world encyclopedia, a new video game and the release of the Harry Potter series on e-books. Only three things are for sure:
- Rowling’s “people” have assured the masses that the announcement is not a new book.
- Likewise, those close to the author have stated that the announcement is not directly related to the upcoming film.
- If the announcement is anything short of sensational, Rowling can expect a level of fury from fans that would make a Hungarian Horntail proud.
Vox staffers will keep their quills at the ready in case a golden snitch comes forward with any other useful hints. We’ll also be back Thursday morning to report on the announcement and what it means for concerned muggles. In the meantime, let’s hear your best guesses at what we can expect in T-minus 24 hours.
Like Vox on Facebook
- Former Editor in Chief of Cosmopolitan’s four steps to a successful career
- Scandal Recap: We do not touch the first ladies
- Shakespeare’s “A Midsummer’s Night Dream” lit up Rhynsburger Theatre
- Unearthing the underground music community in Columbia
- Jennifer Lawrence’s most memorable Oscar moments of 2014