Some weeks are so full of excitement and fun (and by excitement and fun, I really mean homework and studying) that you can’t find time to make it to the gym for an hour-long cadio/weight session. But, you shouldn’t have to compromise your workout routine. Check out these five easy workouts you can do at your home that require no weights or workout tools:
- Front plank – You’ve probably seen it done a hundred times at the gym, and there’s a good reason for that! This exercise is easy and effective. Place your hands, forearms, elbows and balls of your feet on the floor. Your shoulders, midsection and legs should all be suspended in air. (This should mimic a push-up position, but with your arms on the ground.) Hold the position for as long as you can, I recommend starting at 25 seconds and working your way up. This is a great exercise that targets your back and ab muscles.
- Reverse crunches – Do you have that annoying little pudge that will never go away at the bottom of your abs? This exercise can take care of that! Lie on your back with your arms to the side and your legs in the air, slightly bent, at a 90-degree angle. Without rocking, lift your legs to the ceiling using your ab muscles. Thirty of these should have that bulge gone in no time!
- Side hip abduction – This move targets the side muscles and the muscles in your legs. Lie in a straight line on your side with your elbow resting on the floor tucked under your head for support. Slowly lift your outside leg (the one that isn’t touching the ground) to a 45-degree angle away from your other leg. Return leg back down, but do not rest on your other leg! Keep the movement going for about 25 reps.
- Calf raises – Calf raises are pretty self-explanatory – they target the calf muscles. Place your hands on a wall or railing for support, tuck one foot in the crevice of your opposite ankle, and raise up onto the ball of your foot. Repeat this as many times as you can, and then switch feet. For an added challenge, stand on a step. This allows you to lower your foot down further than you would be able to on the floor, providing a greater degree of muscle strech.
- Superman – Don’t be scared by the name, anyone can do this exercise! Lie on your stomach with your arms and legs fully extended. While you keep your face towards the ground, raise your arms and legs and try to reach opposite sides of the room. This is a great exercise that targets a range of different muscles.
There you have it – five easy exercises that you can do in less than ten minutes at home. So next time you try to convince yourself that you can’t squeeze in a workout, think again.
Like Vox on Facebook