- Responding to Roger Ebert’s reviews
- T/F Film Fest
- About Vox
So, here we are. It’s five days before the election, and if you thought TV campaign commercials were on overload before, just wait.
But escape the redundant McCaskill-Akin, Obama-Romney wars by going online and doing a little YouTube surfing. Celebrities have taken the internet channels by storm and assume their star status gives them the power to tell us who to vote for and that we’ll actually listen to them.
Whether you agree with them or not, here are some of the best celebrity campaign videos.
Draw the Line
Talk about bringing in the big guns! “Draw the Line” is a campaign that looks to maintain women’s reproductive rights. The celebrity support is rampant: Kevin Bacon and Kyra Sedgwig open it, with Lisa Kudrow, Amy Poeler, Martha Plimpton and Sarah Silverman joining in. And let’s not forget about Meryl Streep. All I can say is if Meryl tells you to sign something, you feel compelled to sign it.
The Empty Chair
Okay, so it wasn’t an e-commercial, but Clint Eastwood’s empty chair bit at the 2012 National Republican Convention was an online smash, if not because of its message, because of its oddity. Dirty Harry points out in the beginning that he’s not alone in Hollywood; others, such as Jon Voight, keep their conservative views to themselves and “don’t go around hot-dogging it.” Maybe that’s why so few of them do online campaign commercials.
Vote for Zomney
My nerdiness is going to come out here. Joss Whedon, director of The Avengers and creator of shows like Buffy the Vampire Slayer, Dollhouse and Firefly released this semi-endorsement last week and had us in stitches around the office. It helped that we were about to live-blog The Walking Dead at the time.
These two ads are from the 2008 election, but the message continues to apply today. It pretty much packs everyone found on the red carpet into one commercial encouraging you to stay home election day because, you know, who cares about the future of our country? A word to the tender-eared: there’s a little bit of language. What did you expect with Jonah Hill and Jamie Foxx in the same video?
And because there weren’t enough famous people in the first one, here’s a second one with even more faces, Steven Spielberg’s voice and even more uncensored material:
On that note, VoxTalk encourages you to vote. Be it for, Romney, Obama, Johnson, Goode, whatever: JUST VOTE! Or Meryl Streep will hunt you down.
- An e-introduction to the 2012 presidential candidates
- Third Presidential Debate — Foreign Policy (LIVE!)
- IAmA subreddit: What happens when celebrities and politicians mingle with the “normal” people
- Learning WWII through rememberthewar.com
- YouTube Watch: YouTube Series
- Websites like Wrapp and Kiva make last-minute gifting quick and simple
Like Vox on Facebook
- No public Twitter messages.
What we’re chatting aboutart books Columbia Community CoMo dessert Documentaries Documentary downtown downtown Columbia Fashion film Films food Harry Potter Missouri Mizzou movie movies MU music news playlist Ragtag Recipe Recipes restaurants review Shopping social media T/F T/F film fest T/F Film Festival television The Blue Note True/False True/False Film Fest True/False Film Festival True False True False Film Fest TV Twitter vox VVV VVVV
- Mariette Seabrooke on What Columbians are reading
- Dos Cubanos Restaurant on Barbara Walters announces her retirement
- Sancho Sancho Photography on Barbara Walters announces her retirement
- rhondaf43 on 5 fashion blogs/sites you should be reading
- Robert Bennett on Duck Commander of Duck Dynasty tells us how to be Happy, Happy, Happy in new book