Photo: Missourian file photo

Yesterday, the “Free Ryan Fergunson” website got a facelift. Announced on the Free Ryan Ferguson Facebook page (and accompanied by 625 likes and 173 shares so far), the new website seems to be a step up from the old in organization and style.

The website also announces that there will be a new 48 Hours update aired 8 p.m. central time on Feb. 23. Will you be watching?

In other news…

With Ryan in prison for a large part of his life (9 years), his personal life would obviously be greatly affected. Guilt or innocence aside, part of what makes this case so provocative to views on a national level is that a charming young man is spending his 20s behind bars while the legal system sorts itself out.  The emotion and care evoked from many strangers over this case is displayed over message boards and Facebook likes — theFree Ryan Ferguson Facebook page has more than 17,000 likes and counting.

So when the Dec. 1, 2012 Dateline episode about the Ryan Ferguson case aired, it was, as always, pretty crazy. Yeah, it mentioned the usual Ferguson special things: that the case was botched, that his family is going to keep fighting the sentence, and, of course, that Ferguson’s guilt is ambiguous even if it isn’t in the eyes of a jury. But slipped in between the interviews and commentary was a big development…in Ferguson’s love life.

When the special’s narrator, Keith Morrison, discusses Ferguson’s potential prison-free life, he says, “He (Ferguson) began to make plans … to spend time with a new girlfriend he had been corresponding with in prison.”

Woah. Ryan Ferguson has a girlfriend? Alright, we’re intrigued. We want to know how she’s dealing with Ferguson sitting in prison. We want to know how long they’ve been dating. We want to know a lot of things, but most importantly of all, who is this mystery woman?

At the end of the episode Ferguson says, “I have an amazing family and an amazing girl in my life, and I really look forward to being able to live with them and spend time with them. I think when I do get out, we’ll do amazing things together, and I live for that.”

Talk Back:

We want to know how you feel about the new website, the continued outpouring of “Free Ryan Ferguson” support and Ryan’s girlfriend.

Tagged with:

41 Responses to Ryan Ferguson has new website, girlfriend?

1. Really? says:

Why would it be odd for Ryan Ferguson to have a girlfriend? Isn’t there more things that are substantial to this person than him having a girlfriend? It’s obvious that the normal shows highlight him being innocent… Because he is. Let him live his life and respect his privacy, along with his girlfriend’s. Why is it so shocking that he would have a girlfriend? They need to free this man, so he CAN spend time with the ones who love him. There’s probably a reason why she remains anonymous. Maybe the best thing to do is to respect this individual’s decision to not out herself to the public in which has ripped Ryans life apart. Ryan ferguson is human being and it’s also normal for him to love like all the rest of us. He deserves to be happy! I hope he has that with her and as long as he’s happy while he’s going through this nightmare, the only other focus should be on helping him get his life back. I hope this happens in 2013! Free Ryan Ferguson.

• Mathew says:

What a shame on the the detectives, the jury, the prosecutors, the judge at that time! If I were to be the judge, I would throw that case right out. I would not allow that case to go through any further. I would dismiss the jury and brand the prosecutors as incompetent and careless. No evidence at all; footprints did not match; the hair did not match. DNA did not match. What a shame! Ten precious years of this innocent young man was taken away from him. While watching the story, I had to fight back tears.

2. FreeRyan says:

Girlfriend or not, this man needs to be FREE ASAP! The state of Missouri has literally stolen 9 years of his life. 9 years he will never get back. He has just lost his entire twenties. They continue to steal his life because the state of Missouri won’t correct their wrong even though the two people who LIED at trial, admitted that they lied and committed perjury…which is grounds for at minimum, a 10 year prison sentence. Therefore, Trump would have a chance at 10 years in prison for telling the truth this past April. And Erickson broke his plea agreement, so, he would no longer be eligible for parole in 2016 and would carry out whatever his plea agreement states, which could possibly be life in prison. Why would either one of them do this to themselves? Possibly because their consciences are kicking in. Probably so. Chuck testifies he did not want to die knowing he did the wrong thing— lied at trial to save his own life. And Trump tearfully asks for forgiveness from Ryan and his family. I would too! If it weren’t for his trial testimony, Ryan would more than likely not have spent the last decade of his life in prison. Hopefully the western district appeals court has the courage to admit that Ryan received an unfair trial, and that Boone County prosecutor, Kevin Crane is a disgusting human being and needs to be held accountable for lying and ripping this young mans life apart. I hope more than anything he gets to be back with his family and girlfriend this year. Free this innocent man. So heartbreaking.

3. Janice Kennedy says:

You bring up your kids to always tell the truth and be kind to other people, when I show this on 48 hours I could not believe the judge would not over turn this case. What was he thinking there is NOT A LING THAT PUTS HIM THERE. I have always believed in the system but this is just not right. My God look at the Cassey Anothony case in Florida, they found her not guilty and there was proof in her car and etc. that she may have been the one who killed her child. What is wrong with this Judge can’t he see Ryan id not have a thing to do with this murder? Ryan I am so sorry you are going through this my prayers will be with you and your family till you go free. What else can we do that might help? Mr. Ferguson let me know if there is any thing that might help! RYAN SHOULD NOT BE IN JAIL HE NEEDS TO BE SET FREE.

4. Kate says:

I hate the tone of this article. Apparently bored with reporting on the absolutely incredulous story that is the Ryan Ferguson Case, the author has renewed interest when a possible girlfriend enters the picture. Might I suggest that said author go write for a trashy tabloid… or is that what this is?

5. lynn randol says:

THIS NOT UNIQUE. I HAVE SEEN TOO MANY CASES WHERE THE PROSCECUTOR WILL NOT ADMIT HE MADE ANY ERRORS HE WILL SPEND T MONEY AND TIME TO SAVE FACE AND REPUTATION.IT WAS CLEAR THAT THE JUDGE WAS NOT GOING TO FAULT HIS NOW FELLOW JUDGE OR THE DEFENCE ATTORNEY,WHO WORKS FOR THE STATE ATTORNEY GENERALS OFFICE.I HAVE SEEN MUCH SUCCESS WITH THE INNOCENCE PROGAM,RYAN SPEND A LOT OF TIME IN THE THE LAW LIBRARY.THIS WILL GIVE YOU MORE KNOWLEDGEOF LEGAL SYSTEM AND HOW TO FIGHT BACK, WITH SOME FACTS OR CASES IN THE LAW BOOKS.EVERYDAY START NEW WITH SPIRIT OF POSITIVE DESIRE TO RIGHT THIS WRONG FROM THOSE WHO TOOK AN OATH TO SEEK AND UPHOLD OUR LEGAL SYSTEM.I HOPE AND PRAY THIS MIGHT HELP.THIS COULD BE MY OR ANYONE ELSE’SON.LYNN RANDO

6. Jen says:

For anyone who’s interested, there’s a petition you can sign to ask that Ryan be freed, or at the very least, be given a new trial:

7. Janette says:

Missouri really ought to get their justice system straightened out. Not only is Ryan Ferguson innocent of a crime that he did not commit, but so is Byron Case who is serving 2 life sentences.

8. Lisa says:

Fantastic that Ryan has a girlfriend. MORE importantly. I really cannot even fathom that this insane story is even true. May God be glorified through it because that is the real story that’s happening, rather than trusting a corrupt system. Lets hold up Ryan to God and let him be the God he is, a just God. Free Ryan ferguson. Your in my prayers throughout the day!!!!

9. paisley says:

If you are going to write an article, know your facts. Ryan Ferguson has over 34,000 supporters from all over the world that has “liked” his Facebook page – not to mention an undisclosed amount of followers on his personal FB page (maintained by his family). Additionally, his petition for freedom has even more signatures. It is baffling that you would find it strange that anyone would have a girlfriend in prison, especially Ryan. Ryan is innocent. Obviously any self-respecting person can see that – and can see what an amazing person Ryan truly is, as well as Ryan’s family. Whomever the girl is, she should feel honored to be a part of Ryan’s life. Ryan will be free in 2013 and when he gets out, watch out — he has only just begun to live!

10. Ok says:

Paisley I’m pretty sure the writer was talking about 625 likes on the post about his new website.

11. Beverly stevens says:

This Krane jerk should be disbarred. Was it election time during Ferguson’s trial or was he a newly graduate arrogant u know what fresh out of law school – I am thankful my daughter attends UNC – Chapel Hill School of Law. He must have gotten his JD via the internet. He is soooo arrogant. And I understand that he is now a judge. My God the folks of Missouri must be well whatever he probably rigged the votes somehow I would like to tell him to his face. I am soooo angry about this I can only imagine the sorrow of this family. sorry about the grammar etc and unkind words, but it is 4am and i am doing this while laying down. PRAYING DAILY FOR FREEDOM AND JUSTICE FOR RYAN FERGUSON AND PEACE IN ALL OF YOUR SOULS AND YOUR HEARTS

12. Im confident to the items and confident to myself!

13. Rebecca says:

What a biased article. First, the photo you choose is one I have never before seen and I’ve been following this case for about three years now. You chose a photo of Ryan, unshaven and in the big old black and white striped attire. Have you familiarized yourself with all that’s wrong in this case? Doesn’t sound like it. I think the jury would overthrow their bad verdict if they could all be apprized of the actual facts of the case. When will the bloody hair in the victim’s hand be compared to Mike Boyd? When will the bloody fingerprints and shoe prints be compared to Mike Boyd? (The car Mike Boyd was most likely driving that night has “disappeared” from recorded history in these last nine years, but there’s still plenty of evidence, if the crooked MO system of injustice doesn’t lose it on purpose.) They have been compared to Ryan and zero matches on all items.

Ashley Carman, you must be about 21 years old with no maturity, no ability to scope out anything journalistically worthy and zero sense of what’s important and what’s not. I hope your career in journalism is very short. The field is suffering enough already and you would only bring it down further if you continue.

14. Lesley says:

Please note that Ryan’s new Facebook page has 38,277 ‘likes’ and the petition to secure his freedom has 85,882 signatures as at the morning of 21st May 2013.

15. the truth says:

I hate to say it, but to some extent I think that ryan’s unbearingly cocky and smug attitude has contributed to his denial of a new trial. He looks and acts too much like the snotty overpriveledged kid that no one can stand in H.S. Some humility would go miles for his cause. One can only imagine how angry he is, but even a feigned attitude adjustment would help. All the prosecutors and judge see is an arrogant young man who is out to embarress them…

16. Conni says:

Where is Johnny Depp or any other celebs, to help Ryan get out of this nightmare???

17. Tammy Shreve says:

Ryan needs to be released! I don’t think either one is guilty! The police planted crap in that boy’s head. They are known for doing this! And of course, if they free Ryan, the state will be paying out big bucks so of course they are going to keep innocent men in prison. I don’t believe in justice because I have seen donut eaters and judges cover for one another! Your judgement will come. And guess what? You will wish that you did the right thing on earth!

18. Robert b says:

If he’s not guilty, then who is? Your telling me it was another 2 random white boys? Please get a life, they were drunk rowdy dumb asses who killed that poor man. Keep him in prison and let his parents waste a ton of money trying to save there scumbag kid.

• Kattyrenee says:

Isn’t the legal drinking age 21 in MO?? These young men were 19. Drag the bar owner’s ass in on this too, for serving under aged kids.

• Carol says:

Research the evidence…there is NONE…The DNA, fingerprints and the footprints do not match Ryan or Chucks. The hair in Kent Heitholt’s hand does not match Ryan Chuck or Kent. Don’t be mean and nasty Mr…Karma is a bitch they tell me…

• Kim A says:

Seriously Robert?!?! Do you know anything about this case? There isn’t any evidence at all that ties Ryan or Chuck to the murder of Ken Heitholt. The only “witness” came forward last year and said he lied while on the stand. He perjured himself, because he knew he had ruined the life of this young man. Not to mention the fact that Ken Heitholts murderer is still walking free

19. Spellcheck says:

You should probably spell him name right in the first sentence.. It’s Ferguson, not Fergunson..

20. B. Glass says:

It’s unfortunate that persons such as the prosecutor in the Ryan Ferguson case have any authority. They are only out for themselves and as long as HE has HIS money, prestige and high livin’ lifestyle, Mr. Crane has absolutely zero concern (or conscience) that he ruined a young man’s life. (Make that two young men; Charles Erickson innocent too.) THE FACTS SHOW RYAN FERGUSON INNOCENCT. SHAME ON ANYONE WHO IS SO CRASS, FLIPPANT, AND SELFISH AS TO BLAME ANOTHER FOR A HENIOUS CRIME, WITHOUT ANY EVIDENCE OR KNOWLEDGE.

21. Marmi says:

Wow, lay off the Author. He’s promoted tbe website AND the facebook page. He called the case reporting crazy, which it is. He never said anything negative about a girlfriend. Be thankful a writer is keeping the case in the spotlight and not speaking against Ryan’s innocence!

22. Lurrah says:

I am thrilled he has a girlfriend. I couldn’t be happier for him. God knows he deserves a little good in his life. You Go Ryan! Everybody loves you.

23. Justmyopinion says:

While I do believe he deserves a new trial and that he is innocent, it’s still creepy when women date prisoners. I think many are judging this situation based solely off his all American good looks and likeable demeanor. Many creepy looking people are living in prison innocent as well but when they get a girlfriend we crucify those women. Innocent or not, women who date prisoners usually have more issues then the actual prisoners. Weird!!!

24. Tommy says:

He’s absolutely guilty! You sheep are believing anything and everything the media and Dateline are telling you?? Read the trial transcript and you might think differently. Ryan Ferguson is a manipulative sociopath and he has you all wrapped around his finger. He did it and deserves the 40 years

• Cassiemk says:

“Ryan Ferguson is a manipulative sociopath and he has you all wrapped around his finger.” Really, Tommy? Do you or did you know Ryan personally? No? Didn’t think so. I DID/DO. There is NOTHING about him that could ever be described as a “Manipulative Sociopath”, not EVER, NOT NOW. Doesn’t matter anyway what you or any other idiot thinks: HE IS GOING HOME FREE IN 15 DAYS!! And those of us who DO know him and his family, could NOT be happier :) I find it tragic and sad that YOU, are a sheep.

• Steven says:

What in the trial transcript, specifically, points to Ryan’s guilt? And to answer your question: Michael Body. Get a grip, dude. And stay off juries!

25. Tommy says:

Why are you so defensive? Truth hurts? You obviously are unclear about the definition of a sheep. Bhaaaa…he will be back in jail eventually just like OJ.

26. TRUTH says:

SHEEP!! ALL OF YOU. CHUCK IS TIRED OF BEING KNOWN AS A SNITCH AND BEING TARGETED IN PRISON- SO HE’S PUTTING ON THE INSANE ACT ONCE AGAIN. BY THE WAY THE JUSTICE SYSTEM PROVED HE WAS NOT CLINICALLY INSANE OTHERWISE HE WOULD BE IN AN INSTITUTION RATHER THAN PRISON YOU FUCKING IDIOTS. WAKE THE FUCK UP, I BET ALL OF YOU LOVE THE NSA AND OBAMA TOO. FUCKING PROGRAMMED SHEEP, WAKE UP LOSERS. ITS NOT SO BLACK AND WHITE ANYMORE.

27. TRUTH says:

SHEEP!! ALL OF YOU. CHUCK IS TIRED OF BEING KNOWN AS A SNITCH AND BEING TARGETED IN PRISON- SO HE’S PUTTING ON THE INSANE ACT ONCE AGAIN. BY THE WAY THE JUSTICE SYSTEM PROVED HE WAS NOT CLINICALLY INSANE OTHERWISE HE WOULD BE IN AN INSTITUTION RATHER THAN PRISON FOOLS. WAKE THE HECK UP, I BET ALL OF YOU LOVE THE NSA AND OBAMA TOO. ALL OF YOU ARE PROGRAMMED SHEEP, WAKE UP NOW BEFORE ITS TOO LATE. ITS NOT SO BLACK AND WHITE ANYMORE…

• Steven says:

TRUTH, I have read the trial transcript and am extremely familiar with all aspects of Ryan’s case. Upon what basis do you believe Ryan guilty? What, specifically, in the trial transcript leads you to conclude that? (And does it prove his guilt beyond a reasonable doubt, in your opinion?)

28. Diana says:

Tommy, thought you should know, Ryan is home. No charges will be refiled. I know Ryan’s father and my children went to school with Ryan. They are great people! Ryan is and has always been innocent. It was the prosecutor who was dishonest and corrupt. Ryan should NOT have served a single day for a crime he had no part in. I will reiterate a statement made to me as a college student, “Be very careful of the shoes you step on, they may belong to the ass you have to kiss tomorrow”. Ryan will do great things with his life. He has a large part of America that will be behind him along the way.

29. Greg Hanson says:

If it doesn’t work out with the girlfriend, I will volunteer to be his boyfriend. What a hunk! This guy is STAR material. He needs to play his cards right. He will go big places.

• Crystal Espinoza says:

I agree Ryan is not only great looking but has an excellent disposition. I wish I would have thought to have written to him first.