The MU gymnastics 2014 home opener is Friday at 6:30 p.m. at the Hearnes Center against Arkansas...but wait just a minute. Take it from somebody who has both competed and judged gymnastics, there are some things you need to know before showing up at the gym this season.
1. Know what to wear. The gymnasts get new attire each meet, so you can at least keep up with what color you're supposed to sport. Friday's meet is the Pink Out to support breast cancer awareness and research, so that means wear pink. Don't have one? Show up early to get one for free.
2. Gasp at the right moments.This kind of fall hurts more emotionally than physically. No gasp.
Okay, gasp now.
3. Know who Angie Kern is. She's a Columbia native, which makes her extra cool. It's her freshman year, but she's already playing her part for Mizzou on both vault and floor.
4. Leave your 10.0 signs at home. Okay, maybe this is a bit harsh, but as evidence of their previous meet against Alabama shows, Mizzou just isn't at a 10.0 level. That being said, very few gymnasts are, and it's still the beginning of the season. We can still dare to dream.
5. Keep on cheering. You'll hear the gymnasts on the floor cheering, so join in. Like any sport, an excited crowd helps pump the team up. Don't worry about scaring a gymnast in the middle of her beam routine by yelling out encouragements. Even if they aren't getting 10.0s, these athletes are still pros.
The meet starts at 6:30 p.m. on Friday, Jan. 17, at the Hearnes Center.